Monday, May 26, 2008

YES! The unofficial beginning of summer is here.
Today, as I am wont to do every Memorial Day, I am remembering those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for freedom. Freedom isn’t free, and war is hell, are two clichés that come to mind. I believe these two clichés. Today I am thankful for the freedoms I enjoy and for the sacrifices that have been made throughout history, in the cause of freedom.
I am flying my flag today in their honor.

My hero Private First Class Terry L. Marshall

Terry was in the US Army during the Vietnam Conflict. One of his assignments, during his term of service, was to be a member of the honor guard for fallen soldiers. He would accompany the body of the soldier being flown to its final resting place. Terry would attend the funeral service, and he and another soldier would be the ones to do the ceremonial folding of the flag to be given to the family. It was always a difficult assignment.


My Dad - Private First Class Cecil R. Bishop

Dad was a medic in the US Army. He was stationed in London. Like many WWII veterans, Dad didn’t talk too much about his war experiences. The memories were not good memories. One day Dad went to pick up a wounded soldier, and when he got there, the wounded comrade was his brother Howard. He had been shot in the hip.

War and Peace

1 comment:

L.S.Marshall said...

I did not know either of those stories. I do know one about Dad's service. He once told me that while he was in training in the swamps somewhere that word came to him that his mom was sick. He told me that he knelt down right there and then and prayed that he would be able to see his mom one more time before she past. That's all I know about dad in the army. Now I know two things.

Lolo