Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Be Not Ashamed

Be Not Ashamed*

Most are aware of the persecution of the early members of the Church. They were driven from one place to another, and were only able to find peace by moving west. The Prophet Joseph Smith was persecuted and finally martyred. Today you'd think the persecution perhaps is behind us. I don't think that's true.

When the name Warren Jeffs appeared on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted list, and when the news of his arrest in Las Vegas hit, polygamy again made headlines, along with tons of misinformation about the Church. Then, Mitt Romney's run for President of these United States, was a real eye opener for me, regarding how far we have NOT come, regarding being understood as a people. When the opponents of California's Prop 8 , caused such a sad stir, they even suggested that of all people, the Mormons should know better than to discriminate. Last week HBO's Big Love aired an episode depicting what they understand to be sacred temple ceremonies. Pretty sad. I am reminded of Elder Hales last message at General Conference, Christian Courage, and Elder M. Russell Ballard message The Truth of God Shall Go Forth.

* I entitled this post "Be Not Ashamed", because when I was fifteen-years-old Patriarch Spongberg admonished me to: "Be not ashamed to properly represent the Lord Jesus Christ as one of His chosen people." Those have been words I have tried to live by, and I plan to exhibit 'Christian Courage' 'til the day I die.


No comments: