Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Man I Admire

Today funeral services were held for Truman G. Madsen. I loved this man! I’ve read his books, and I’ve attended lectures he gave at BYU Education Week, and at Women’s Conferences. I marveled at his incredible intellect, and so admired the way he was living such a Christlike life.
In May 2001, Terry’s generous Aunt Darlene invited me to go to Israel. One night, after a day of wonderful site seeing, I walked down to the hotel lobby to mail a postcard home. There sitting in the lobby, by himself, was Brother Madsen. He was in Israel, as the guide of a small tour group. I was with another small tour group, with a different guide. I decided to not be shy, and for the next few minutes I sat and talked with Brother Madsen. We talked of Jesus. It was a wonderful experience.

At Brother Madsen's funeral, President Henry B. Eyring, Elders Jeffrey R. Holland, Richard G. Scott, Dallin H. Oaks and Russell M. Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve, family friend Steve Young, and family members spoke. WOW! That’s quite the lineup!

Ann Madsen, Brother Madsen's wonderful wife once said this of her husband. Despite his impressive scholarship and prominence, he saw no distinctions between people. In Jerusalem, for example, he was equally at home among the heads of state, and the people who cleaned the floor at the BYU Jerusalem center, or took care of the gardens. I find that SO admirable, and I’m pretty sure that’s what the Lord wants us all to do. I'm working on it! I'm trying to be like Jesus.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Great post. . . I first read and understood "friend of the family Steve Young" as being a friend of OUR family. I wish.