Saturday, August 9, 2008

Where Are They Now?
Prom 1966Here we are at good ol' Paramount High.
Today's prom activities have really changed, since my high school days. We went to dinner before the dance. We went to the dance. We danced. We had our photograph taken at the dance. We visited with friends at the dance. We listened as the DJ announced the names of couples who were engaged to be married. We went home after the dance. We had a great time. ~~~~~I know today, the details of prom begin with the asking. The guy has to come up with a creative way to ask his would-be-date. Then she has to respond in a creative fashion. There are activites planned for the day of the prom. There's the dinner before the prom. An appearance is made at the prom, where photos are taken just to show you actually attended. Prom attendees leave to participate in after the prom activities and breakfast. AND, heaven forbid any one drive their own car, or the family car. Limos, rental cars or someone's fancy smancy car is borrowed.~~~~~ One thing that hasn't changed is how hard it is to find a prom dress. However, one of the biggest worries for the LDS girls back in my day, wasn't the modesty issue, but the worry that you'd show up in a formal identical to one that someone else was wearing. I sure didn't want that to happen to me, so I had my dress made. I picked out the fabric and the pattern. There were many great seamstress in my ward. One of the nicest ladies in my ward, Reah Bursell, made my formal. I loved how it turned out.~~~~~ Why am I waxing nostalgic today? Well, our names were not among those names announced over the PA system, but I did marry my prom date. It was on this day, August 9th, in 1968 that my prom date asked me to marry him.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Glad you said yes. It's been 40 years! Time flies when you . . . have kids.