Thursday, October 9, 2008

General Conference
I have loved attending, watching or listening to General Conference since I can remember. I am thankful that we can have direction from our modern day Prophets. I have participated through many different venues over the years. I have attended in the old Tabernacle. I've attended in the Assembly Hall on Temple Square. I have attended in the new Conference Center. I've listened to Conference on a transistor radio. I've listen to conference on the car radio, as we've been driving. I've watch Conference at home, or in the homes of some of my children. I've watch Conference at many church buildings. There are many years, I can remember exactly where I was listening. For example, Terry, Tad and I listened to Conference while relaxing outside in the backyard of the Stake Patriarch's home, on April 7, 1974. The Patriarch and his wife were on a mission, and we lived in their home while they were gone. Later that evening, Tyson was born. This year I watched all the sessions of Conference with Loren and Sonya, and Noah, as we looked forward to little Lyla joining the family.
This past Conference was wonderful. There was so much guidance given. Sarah and Ann have share some nice thoughts about General Conference. To their posts, I shout out: "Ditto!"

So, why the photo of my dad? Well, Dad was not a member of the Church, but he would always join us when we watched General Conference from the living room of my childhood home. In a private conversation with Dad, when he was riddled with bone cancer, and he knew his days were numbered, he told me that he knew the Church was true. Dad lost his battle with cancer on April 4, 1982. On October 18, 1984, in the Los Angeles Temple, by proxy baptism, Dad became a member of the true Church. The Church he knew was true!

4 comments:

Mr. Mustachio said...

I remember that being a very comfortable chair.

Kenneth and Valerie Romberg said...

A truly exceptional photo of the listening ear. Hand behind to hold it from going any further than his own brain. I know he is busy at work there preparing for the rest of us, so we better keep our act together.

YES on PROP 8

L.S.Marshall said...

nice story mom. i dont know any of this stuff

Cecily said...

I believe I sat in that chair last month at Aunt Val's house. It's blue now, and yes, quite comfy!