Sunday, February 22, 2009

Washington


Happy Birthday George

Today is George Washington's birthday. He is one of my heroes. When we lived in Virginia, I loved our visits to his Mt. Vernon home. Then there was the time we took a trip to Valley Forge in the dead of winter. We talked of Washington and the suffering of his soldiers, but we stayed in the warm car, as we looked out over the frozen snow-covered ground. Many times, when we'd cross the Potomac, I would think about George throwing a coin across the river. There's no way, unless he had a little A-Rod action goin' on, and it was the Rappahannoc River, not the Potomac! I know the "I cannot tell a lie, I chopped down that cherry tree" story is a fable. But, I like to have cherry pie on Washington's birthday and talk of his honesty. So today we did! Stories sure can get twisted. Several times a year, I drive past the St. George Temple. Each time, I mentally recall the experience shared by Wilford Woodruff, regarding the appearance of the Founding Fathers, and their requests for their saving ordinances. Now there's a story that is not twisted! So today - Happy Birthday Brother Washington, and thanks for everything!

We also shared a bit of patriotism at Jack's place today. We miss you little one.

No comments: