Thursday, July 24, 2008

Pioneer Day
July 24th
~an official state holiday in Utah~ Sarah has a great post about the Pioneers on her blog.
Ann has a great post about the Pioneers on her blog.
Our family has a wonderful pioneer heritage. Pioneer names fill the maternal side of my family group sheet, and both sides of Terry's pedigree chart. When I think of the pioneers, my mind thinks of the long covered wagon trek.
However, this painting by Bob takes my mind to a different place.
Tennant Farm, England
This is what Bob says about this painting: "Tennant Farm is a nostalgic remembrance of the farm. I felt that as those enduring the hardships of the handcart experience remembered the comfort and beauty of where they had left, they would romanticize it even more. Hence, late afternoon light, smoke from a warm fire, sheep grazing. An idealic memory. A place that put into question the decision to come to Utah, and yet, they kept enduring the elements and moving forward."
I am so thankful that my ancestors kept moving forward. I want to do the same.
Since we are living in the Age of Information we can simply "google" many of our ancestors and learn lots of info. Try any of these family folks: Ute Perkins or Dudley Leavitt or

No comments: